God among the garbage


Late afternoon and the sun
Breaks through the clouds
Ending the drone of a day long rain,
Coaxing me to stir from the warm
Enveloping depression and
Spiking electric pain of anxious worry
And out to the warm sun with my dog.

Headed for the bare brown woods
Where, hemmed in on all sides
By the sweet deafening crescendo
Of the early spring frogs
And the peace of the warm spring breeze
Stoking my cheek
Crawling things stir to life
Among the breeze-blown leaves at my feet.

Here along the banks to the sweet, earthy pool
I bid bad choices to go
And drop them in the murky water
With hope to never to see them again.

But somewhere between there
And the way back
I take them up again
As I settle in for a smoke
Between my rotting teeth
Near the garbage cans and blowing papers
On the hard concrete
Of the nearby gas station.

Still all this time,
Sitting in the quiet, close, sun-bleached room
And the soft enveloping peace of the spring pond
Among the concrete and waste of the garbage cans
Against the swirling plume of nicotine medication
That coaxes me from the darker places
Is God

Walking beside me,
Hovering just out of reach
Bidding me to stir
To try just once more,
To make one right step.
Between the shock of the grinding pain
And the peace of the life around me
He will still, this day, manage to see me through
In spite of this frail human skin
And this fragile human hope.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Monkey Bars

I long to see him

Book, Interrupted. On the fringes of Christianity.