A Letter To a Friend

I woke up at 9:00 this morning, threw some clothes on and headed out the door.  I was meeting with the a ministry leader at 9:20 that morning because I had expressed an interest in joining their care ministry at my new church. Just before I left, I sent him a letter that I had written that week for a young man who I had visited in the adolescent psych unit at the hospital.  I thought it would give the ministry leader some insight into my interactions with my care receivers, as I had been a Stephen Minister for 5 years and a lay chaplain at my previous church. When I got there, I sat down with the ministry leader.  We got to talking and I asked him what he did for work previously.  He said he was a pharmacist.  Then he said something that perked my ears: He said his first rotation was for a Psychiatric Hospital in Ohio.  He said there was razor wire around the high wall surrounding it and double locked doors on every ward.  I asked him if it was for people with mental issues that had committed a crime.  He said it was not; it was supposed to be a mental health facility. I asked when he was there. He said 1991. He related stories of his time there. The first day he was attacked and he had to go to self-defense class.  He told me how there was one area with only one toilet because people would drink the toilet water until their electrolytes were imbalanced and they would go into shock.  I know someone who did the same thing.  It is a desperate act.  The picture that he painted, a picture that I know all too well, sounded as though the people there were caged like animals.  And I know from experience that that leads people to do things they wouldn’t normally do. I have seen the inside of similar places in my life.  We have digressed in many cases to a point where the hospital in "One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest" comparatively resembles a vacation.  I have been to a "mental health facility" in East Detroit where the orderlies were mostly moonlighting prison guards.  And it was barely one step above prison.  Fist fights in the halls nightly while we were trying to talk on the bank of pay phones with 2' cords to our family members.  Mold in the showers. Bugs in the beds. Prison food and prison portions.  We were hungry all the time.  Difficult doctors who dished out the cheapest, oldest medications from the 1950's and 60's that had tons of side effects.  I threw up constantly.  I lost 30 pounds in less than three weeks.  Knowing him, I know he had as much compassion as he could in a difficult situation. And it sounded like it was a very negative experience for him as well. We talked some about the care ministry and what I would be doing.  I told him about the letter I had sent to a young man close to me who I had seen that week while he was in the hospital for depression.  Luckily that young man got into a regular hospital with one of the best mental health programs in the nation, so he didn't have to deal with the hell I have been through.  This is the letter I sent to that 14-year-old boy earlier in the week:

Abraham Lincoln and John F. Kennedy, as well as many of our great poets, writers, musicians and thinkers dealt with it. Some would be Leonardo Da Vinci, Michelangelo, Isaac Newton, Beethoven, Edger Allen Poe, Charles Darwin, Thomas Edison, Vincent Van Gogh, Winston Churchill (Bipolar), Albert Einstein (autism), Pablo Picasso (depression), Buzz Aldrin (depression), Elton John (bulimia), Ozzy Osbourne (Bipolar), Robin Williams (depression), Princess Diana (depression and Bulimia), Jim Carrey (Bipolar), and Kurt Cobain of the band Nirvana (Bipolar). (You can look all of these up.) 
      Western society has a propensity for drawing lines and putting things into categories. The box it has put all these great thinkers, leaders, actors and creatives in is “mentally ill.” I think Western society has mislabeled this box. Instead of calling the box “ill,” it should be called “great creative men and women.”   20% of American citizens - 1 in 5 people in America - were diagnosed with mental illness in 2010.  It is probably more than that now. Our western medical community has to make categories so they can treat people with the treatments available to it.  Thus, the categories mentally ill or bipolar or depression. You, just like any person, don’t fit into a neat little box. Having to take medication or go into the hospital doesn’t define you.  Don’t let it.  You are not ill.  You have gifts that you may not have discovered.
Everyone is different.  Everyone deals with their own issues - every single person. And we all spend our lives growing out of these things toward the best person we could be. I am convinced, after many years, that all of the people I listed were creatives who just needed to find their creative outlets.  I think anyone can be creative if they can harness their emotions. If you find something creative you like doing, all that anger will be channeled into passion.  And you will get good at it because you love doing it.  Doodling may turn into drawing and into painting.  Journaling may turn into writing and then to authoring books.  Listening to music may lead to playing music to writing symphonies. (Listen to the song “Battle Born” by the Killers – the lead singer has been through some stuff and it shows). Little inclinations now can become passionate outlets if you find you like doing them.
I write poetry and have my spiritual blog with about 600 readers and I have just finished my second book.  I am currently having people read my book and I am going to send it off to an editor this month.  That is one of the things they are trying to get you to do in the hospital: find your outlets. Along with turning your feelings outward instead of inward, they are trying to help you find creative ways you can use your emotions and thinking.  You can use them to make stuff that no one else has ever thought of.  You can use them to create things no one else can. I think listening to music is one such outlet.  For my wife, it is singing and leading bands.
Having to go into the hospital and take medication may very well be a temporary bump in the road for you.  Regardless, if you are open to it, you can learn lessons from it that will help you your whole life.  And they will make you a better person.  When I was young I didn’t pay much attention to people who hadn’t been through some life-changing difficulty. They seemed shallow.  But as I got older, I found that everyone has something they have been through that was difficult.  Sooner or later, everyone has their trial. And if they learned from it, it made them stronger and better than they were before it.  My experiences have been rougher than most people’s. But they have made me a great Stephen Minister and lay Chaplain.  And, in this capacity, I have helped a lot of people get through tough times in their lives.  The good things I have taken away from my difficult experiences have also made me a pretty good writer.  I got good at it simply because I love doing it and I pour all my emotions into it.  Surviving my depressions gave me a lot of grit.  When I was in college, I got depressed for the first time and had to go into the hospital.  When I was better, I got a job.  Then I went back to school. I worked at a demanding full-time job in Information Technology and went to school part time in an honors college: I paid my way through school as I went. I would come home from work and classes, grab dinner, and go out to the café and study late into the night.  I did this because I enjoyed what I was majoring in. Then I went to Ghana and Guatemala to build houses for the poor - because I had a heart for it.  Then I went to seminary for three years. You aren’t "defective" or "messed up."  You have a gift (or possibly many gifts) that you have yet to discover and cultivate.
Listen to the doctors and therapists and the people you meet along the way.  Take what you want and leave the rest.  Try to find something in what they are offering that would be a help to you.  Question what you tell yourself. Find something you can grab on to and “take with you.”  I promise, it will help you the rest of your life.  Those things you learn in times of trial will make you better than you would have been without them.  Isn’t that the point behind most movies, songs, video games, and books?  It's because people know when someone is real.  People intuitively sense when someone has had to face something and come out the other side.  Because they come out the other side better.  What you take from this experience will make you stronger and better.  Find your creative outlets.  They may not seem like much at first.  But if you follow them, you will find there is more to you than you could have known before this.  Try doodling like this pic I doodled for you below.  And take this letter and fold it up and put it in the front of the journal that I got you and read it from time to time.

Your friend, Jeff


I call that meeting with the care ministry leader a “divine appointment.”  I hadn’t intended the letter to have the purpose with which it ended up. Just as my meeting with the young man earlier that week was a divine appointment. To me, a divine appointment is an exchange between two people where God is present in a tangible way. In a divine appointment, God uses your gifts, experiences, and hardships to bring comfort or another point of view to the person with whom you are chatting. This is a very common experience most practicing Christians have had from time to time. I had no idea what the ministry leader and I were going to talk about that day when I sent that letter to him.  I think it will soften his views that were hardened by the difficult experience he had.  Jesus went from one divine appointment to another just about every day during his short, three-year ministry.  One person after another felt the presence or wisdom of God coming through him in their interactions.  And Jesus said to his followers, “you will do even greater things than these.”  What an exciting way to live! - living from one divine appointment to another.  God uses our experience, talents, and trials to be a help to others.  And every time I have had a divine appointment, I get filled up and refreshed.  It happens naturally.  I don’t have to look for them.  What I do have to do, is to stay in scripture and prayer, so when the opportunity presents itself, I will recognize it for what it is.  In this little way we bring the kingdom of God into the lives of the people we meet. And Jesus said the kingdom was all around us.  When he went away to pray with his disciples, he taught them that if anyone wanted to follow him, they must deny themselves and take up their cross daily.  Then he said, ”But I tell you most certainly, there are some standing here who will not experience death before they see the kingdom of God” (Luke 9:27).
Jesus wasn't talking about some pie-in-the-sky "Heaven."  He said, over... and over.... and over again... that the Kingdom of God is all around us, now, today, and every day.  If we could only have eyes to see it. Creation is pregnant with it.  The kingdom of God is released into the world any time someone communicates the love of God to another in these divine appointments.  If everyone did, we all could be in the kingdom of God on Earth: Heaven itself would be here, as the writer of Revelations poetically says,
"Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth; for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and the sea was no more. And I saw the holy city, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband. And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying,
“See, the home of God is among mortals now.
He will dwell with them;
they will be his people,
and God himself will be with them;
he will wipe every tear from their eyes.
Death will be no more;
mourning and crying and pain will be no more,
for the old things have passed away.”
 And the one who was seated on the throne said, “See, I am making all things new.”  (Rev 21)

 

Popular posts from this blog

Monkey Bars

I long to see him

Book, Interrupted. On the fringes of Christianity.