Growing Away

The spark that lights your eyes
So blue and sharp and bright
From deep within your little soul
It speaks of daddy's love

But I cringe at the violence
That will be done to your heart.
When your friend shuns you,
Or the careless boy makes fun.

The innocent eyes
Will grow older
And time will whither the vine
But wisdom will be born.

I will do my best to guide you
To cheer you from the bleachers
To hold you when you're hurting
And help you find your gifts.

But now you are just walking
Exploring the world in wonderment
Sinking deep into my arms
You look to me for comfort.

You come to me, across the room,
To fell secure and safe
To drop the fear and settle in
Without the distance between us

How I wish it should always be
But I know you must too soon 
Grow strong and wise and passionate too,
And grow away from me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Monkey Bars

I long to see him

Book, Interrupted. On the fringes of Christianity.