Scandalously Kissed By The Divine.



I know that God loves so deeply it will crumple your weakened knees. I know this because yesterday I had an experience of closeness to God that I have never had before.  I wrote a poem while it was happening.  See my previous blog post titled enraptured: http://spiritgivesbirth.blogspot.com/2015/12/enraptured.html

I kissed the face of the divine, and he (or she) kissed me back.

I think that God has deep emotions for us, not just because I have experienced it, but because it is written in scripture.  God created Adam AND Eve in his own image.  That means he has all the strength of man and the spirit of doing and fighting for justice but also the gentle relational spirit of Eve.  Eve who loves deeply and cries and rejoices for her lover.  God, in the Christian tradition, is three in one.  The father, spirit and son - in eternal relationship with each other. He is a relational being.  He is a friend, a father, and a lover.  I think when you discover the lover side of God, you will be forever changed.  It has changed me.  I knew it intellectually from studying the bible and extra-biblical writings for 22 years or so.  But now I know it experientially.  And this is the knowing that the bible prizes so highly.

God, for me and for you, is the heated passionate lover of your soul.  Our emotions stir his emotions.  Our love stirs his heart, and he lavishes his love upon us.  When I feel this love I am immediately prompted to give it away to the people around me in my life.  I pursue causes to change the world for better, post loving scripture on facebook, share inspiring words, and encourage the people I know.  This is one of my gifts - encouragement.  It is my primary love language.  And when I have the experience of the love of God, it builds my ability to exercise my gift.

I pray you will have the experience of the scandalously extravagant, passionate love of God today.  Pray for it.  "God, give me the experience of your love."  He may not do it at that moment, but pull out the psalms or read Song of Solomon 2:10-13.  Soak in some soft music, wrap up in a warm blanket and lay on the couch, and read the words.

My beloved speaks and says to me:
'Arise, my love, my fair one,
and come away;
for now the winter is past,
the rain is over and gone.
The flowers appear on the earth;
the time of singing has come,
and the voice of the turtle dove
is heard in our land.
The fig tree puts forth its figs,
and the vines are in blossom;
they give forth fragrance.
Arise, my love, my fair one,
and come away.'

Set me as a seal upon your heart,
as a seal upon your arm;
for love is strong as death,
passion fierce as the grave.
Its flashes are flashes of fire,
a raging flame.
Many waters cannot quench love,
neither can floods drown it.
If one offered for love
all the wealth of one's house,
it would be utterly scorned.

-Song of Solomon 2:10-13


It will make you a better man or woman.  For men, it will soften your heart.  Allow you to love more deeply, your wife or girlfriend, your kids, the stranger you meet on the street.  It will make you stronger, more well rounded. It will take you deeper into the mystery of God and the mystery of relationship. God gave us this experience for a reason.  It is life - the flesh and blood that Jesus offers us in communion. Pure and simple.  It is beautiful and rejuvenating.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Monkey Bars

I long to see him

Book, Interrupted. On the fringes of Christianity.