A Meditation


A limited muffled rupture
And peace slips through my fingers
I notice my breathing
In and out.
 
Brown trees bloody with sticky sap
Thrust sharp into the side of the sky
The ground spins and heaves
And the wind screams.
 
Lightening flashes behind my eyes:
The searing pain of knowing
As the storms rage
At the edges of my vision.
 
The dead leaves fall away
From the dry trees
And settle on the floor
Of the dead brown earth.
 
Death waits at the door
And I try to stretch in this coffin
But the muscles are weak
And they do not respond.
 
I notice my breathing
In and out
Sweeter than heaven
And hotter than hell.
 
In and out
Each breath a footstep
On the path
Away from pain.
 
In and out
My chest follows the rhythm
Written on the universe
And in my heart.
 
I curl up on the couch
In the hands of God
And sigh in the silence
As the peace flows into my heart.
 
Luminescent warm rain falls
And cleanses my parched soul
And sweeps away the dust
From the creaky, sun-starved attic.
 
My limbs tense and release,
Sweet release,
And melt with the warmth
Of comfort.
 
In flows sweet love
Filling my weary soul
And flowing out of this body,
Wrapped in sacred silence.
 
A whisper settles on me
In the quiet:
You are very good,
My beloved son.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Monkey Bars

I long to see him

Book, Interrupted. On the fringes of Christianity.