The empty tomb cannot be proven. Relationship can.

The empty tomb cannot be proven.  It must be believed.  For me, the experience I have of God is the inherent proof. God exists for me because I experience Him. But I have to get the ball rolling.  I must choose to believe for the belief to prove itself in the relationship with God.  The relationship becomes available to me when I believe.

If I believe Jesus' tomb was empty, then for me, it was empty.  No one can refute that. The
disciples believed it was, and so their experience led them out into the world with a fierce belief in love.  And that belief then spread because it was true for them and, because of their experience, their transformation was proof for others.  Others then had their own experience of the living Christ because of their relationship with Him (that transcends time and space).  The proof comes for me in my personal experience of relationship with God. And so personal experience confirmed my, and the disciples' belief.  Then others, who accepted this, had their own experience of the relationship to God.. and so on.  It is spread by attraction.

When I say the empty tomb cannot be proven, what do I mean?  Even if a man finds the bones missing in Jesus's tomb, he could choose to believe or not to believe that Jesus was the son of God and so ascended into His destiny. It is a personal thing. One cannot prove it. Conversely, even if a man found the bones of Jesus, he could still believe that Jesus ascended - they were not his.  It does not matter to me.  What matters is my belief based on my experience that allows me to enter into relationship with God.

Belief opens the door to my experience of God.  When I say experience, I mean relationship with God.  Just as a person in relationship with me has experiences of me and so comes to believe things about me.  Those things then become true of me.  It is the creation of reality.  The mind of man is a wonderful thing.  It realizes God because God created it.  It comes to know love because love was built into it, I believe, by God, who is love.

Does this mean man has created God?  I don't think so, because something must have created man and instilled in him the capacity to know love and therefore - know his Creator.  Someone had to start the cycle, someone who could have relationship with man.  Man is not capable of creating himself.  I think an outside force must have created him first.  Does this mean that I believe that god literally "reached down" and formed man (human, or man of dirt) out of a heap of dirt?  I do not.  I believe God put in place the laws of the universe which led to man and may lead beyond him to something greater.  Adam in my view, is allegory. But I believe that God, as I call him, put those laws in place.  And I believe that you can come to know this God (ie: enter into relationship with him) by following the teachings of Jesus and the Christian Scriptures.  But I do not think that this God is exclusively known through the Christian faith.  I think God is too big for that.

The experience of the Father of Jesus, let the reader understand, is available for all who truly seek it.  I have found a relationship with God in the Christian way of going about existence.  (Understand that I am not qualified to pronounce a blanket assertion that people of other faiths (or no discernible faith) have no relationship with this God. As a man, I am inherently unqualified to judge the soul of another.)  Belief transforms and gives me the ability to have relationship with God. And so belief leads to its own proof, for me, and for others who accept what I have.  I know God because I have a relationship with Him.  For me, he is very much real and he proves it to me every day in small and big ways because faith has given me eyes to see Him.

I think the choice to believe in God is the choice that every human makes.  (Or does not make - either way he chooses.)  I believe it is the one choice common to all humans. Besides the choice to live or to die.  But I assert, this is the same choice.  And I believe the ability to make this choice in something bigger than what we can know is what makes us human.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Monkey Bars

I long to see him

Book, Interrupted. On the fringes of Christianity.