Baptism and the Sabbath

I was baptized on Sunday, the first day of the advent season.  I gave the following testimony:

God found me after a long illness in my early twenties.  Over the next decade, God led me to Jesus.  He blessed me with a beautiful wife, a house, and a good career.  He blessed me with a good group of men to stand beside me through thick and thin.  There have been trials, but always he was there, growing me, pruning me, perfecting me. I was baptized as an infant and have been going to Vineyard since 1997 and I have decided it is time to make a public declaration of my faith.  I want to be God’s hands and feet upon the Earth.  To bring hope to the suffering, relief to the poor, to bring his good news to all who will hear it and to bring his kingdom to Earth now. 

After getting baptized I stepped out of the water and a group of friends and family surrounded me and prayed for me.  My wife, Aynsley, got down on her knees and held my bare feet, praying in tongues.  Immediately I got the impression that God was honoring my prayer and equipping me for his work.  Aynsley stood up and said "I think you are supposed to pray for the other people who got baptized."  So I turned around and laid hands on the next person coming out of the baptismal.  I felt so honored to be used by God and I am so happy and so blessed.

After we left church we shared lunch with my mom and dad.  Then we went home and spent our first intentional Sabbath day together.  We rested, lounged on the couch and talked.  Izzy sat on the floor nearby and munched on her bone.  I read my book called "The Rest of God." I was filled with peace and good will.  I am going to make a Sunday Sabbath a regular practice for us.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Monkey Bars

I long to see him

Book, Interrupted. On the fringes of Christianity.