Existence..not what it seems, I think.

I think that we are living a primarily spiritual existence.  Our bodies are just a byproduct of a spiritual life.  Jew, Christian, Buddhist, agnostic, atheist, Universalist, Muslim, Hindu - we cannot escape this.

Our bodies are not static.  We are actually more like waterfalls of molecules.  We are skin cells and organ cells that are constantly falling away and being replaced.  We are not solid. Besides being physically not solid, our genes read the environment and switch on or switch off to change our bodies' response to the environment. The only thing that stays constant is our soul.
Our soul gives us identity and carries through the
waterfall of our bodies cells changing out.  As our soul grows and changes, so do our bodies as they age, following the prompts from our soul.  To make this concrete, I'll take an example from my life. I have an addiction to smoking.  It is a soul disease.  My body, as I age, shows the signs of this state of my soul.  I get wrinkles, have problems with my esophagus because of the stomach acid it stirs up.  My body takes on the shape of my soul.  Ideas in popular culture and movies reveal this fact. Evil takes on its true form. Love softens the lines of age. Good and bad is always revealed as we age.

I believe that very town we live in is merely a border town to the kingdom of god.  At any moment, our town can be invaded by the inhabitants of the Kingdom, from the great wide open plan of spiritual reality. When there is a shooting at a school, and people step up to forgive the attacker, we are being invaded by the people of the Kingdom of God.  When people welcome the Syrian refugees from their war-torn world, even though there may be a risk of letting in extremists. We are harboring the people of God, the people who forgive and forget. They are the people who do not judge because their creator does not judge them.

I think we need to, as a people, recognize this fact.  The world is not as solid as we might think.  Anything we can do to work on and grow our souls impacts the people and the world around us.  I suggest, even if you do not consider yourself a "spiritual person", that you work on your soul.  Psychology has provided us the distilled form of Christian mystic and Buddhist meditation.  They call it mindfulness.  This is a safe thing to work on even if you don't consider yourself spiritual.  If you are a Christian, I hope you would consider getting in touch with the great Christian mystics.  If you are Buddhist, pursue enlightenment through meditation. 

The world will take on the shape of the souls of the people who grow their souls.  Love is central, I believe.  Love of ourselves, love of others - our friends, our family and our enemies. Love holds it all together.  If we as inhabitants of this human life, do not have love, the world falls apart. I suggest that the most important thing we can do in our lives is grow our souls.  Feed it with love.  One soul acting out of love can change the world... or rather, make it into what it was intended to be. 

If you are interested in mindfulness, I suggest the book "Where ever you go, there you are" by John Kabat Zin.  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0037B6QSY/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?ie=UTF8&btkr=1  It is good if you are Christian or Buddhist too.. it gets you in touch with the wisdom of the ancient desert fathers in Christianity and the wisdom of the Buddhist monks.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Monkey Bars

I long to see him

Book, Interrupted. On the fringes of Christianity.