Apathy and the Solution

A warning for the church: I think this applies in America especially. "I know your works; you are neither cold nor hot. I wish that you were either cold or hot. So, because you are luke warm, I am about to vomit you out of my mouth. For you say, I am rich, I have prospered, and I need nothing. You do not realize that you are wretched, pitiable, poor, blind, and naked." Rev 3:15-17

We can be either cold to the gospel or on fire for it. God can do something with either of these states. But apathy is a killer, because God cannot do anything with it. So many people here are living in Apathy. It is not like this in Ghana. It seems to be a trait that is particularly pervasive in western culture. What is it going to take for America to wake up? Perhaps all this should be taken from us so we will go back to relying on faith. We are fat on fast food, easy money, and the trappings of western society. It is time for us to slim down, and if it means God is going to take this way of life from us, then so be it. I am tired of living in an apathetic culture.

So what are we to do? We are to be thankful for what we have. When Jesus was weary and his disciples were failing and the crowd of 5000 was pressing in all around and demanding his attention, what did he do? He took the bread and fish from the boy and gave thanks for it. This changed the situation. He employed his doubting, tired disciples to hand out the bread and fish, and it, through God's provision, feed 5000. And many believed because of the miracle. It all starts with giving thanks for what we have with the realization that what we have is from God. Thankfulness may be the path for this apathetic nation to come back to God.

-Fant

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Monkey Bars

I long to see him

Book, Interrupted. On the fringes of Christianity.