Faith

It is so easy to fall into the trap of saying, my faith is too weak; I just have to try harder. I was confronted with this problem when I reflected on my doubts centering on Jesus. But telling ourselves we just have to suck it up and have more faith makes the assumption that faith is something we can obtain on our own.  But if you look at the scriptures, faith is not something you can muster.
Ephesians 2:8 says "For it is by grace you have been saved through faith and this is not from yourselves, but it is a gift from God. And again in Philippians 1:29, Paul says "For it has been granted to you on behalf of Christ not only to believe in him, but also to suffer for him"

Faith is not from us, it is from God.  So instead of trying to muster it on our own, we need to turn our attention toward God and ask that we can have more faith. And as Jesus reminds us, the smallest amount of faith – “the size of a mustard seed” - can move mountains.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Monkey Bars

I long to see him

Book, Interrupted. On the fringes of Christianity.